Monday 2 May 2011

2 Faced Cushion

You may remember last week I teased you with a glimpse of a work in progress ....


Well, this is what it turned into .........



This is an 18" cushion, called '2 Face' because you can display either the front or the back. 


The cushion filler was a little on the fat side, but you get the idea!
The technique for making this cushion is 'strip piecing', sewing the strips together, & using a template to cut out the triangular sections. 



The front piece is then quilted.  I simply quilted ascending squares working from the middle to the outer edges.

This is a great project for using different lengths & widths of scraps.

I designed this project for my Oasis class, which will start up again on Wednesday. 

Oasis is a local charity and they rely heavily on donations (monetry and fabric!).  We are usually working with scraps and recycled materials e.g. pillowcases, clothes etc. so the projects have to incorporate the fabrics we have available, along with techniques and skills that the ladies can learn and add to their growing talents.

Hopefully, in a few weeks time, I might have some pics of their versions of '2 Face'!

7 comments:

  1. I seriously love that pillow. Oh great, another thing to add to my wish list/to do list. Wouldn't be any fun if there wasn't anything we were planning though, would it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this has turned out! Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant J! Hope the ladies in Oasis enjoy making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to try one - it looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love the back with the ties :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I also love the close together straight line quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cushion, but so impressed with your quilting. I try so hard, but am never happy with my straight line quilting....any tips??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo