Monday 6 June 2011

Kaleidoscope Quilt Along

There have been several Quilt Alongs advertised recently in Blogland, which I've been very tempted to join.

I tried being strict with myself by saying 'Judith, you have plenty on the go already at the moment, be sensible!"

Well my 'sense' lasted about a week and I have completely caved!

After reading my friend, Leanne's, post today, my resolve folded and I signed up to the Don't Call Me Betsy Kaleidoscope QAL!


I know, I know ..................... but it's such a lovely pattern, and I was inspired by Jo's recent take on this pattern in the Brit Quilt Swap, that I couldn't resist any longer!

Jo's mini kaleidoscope quilt!  Love this!
As always there is a Flickr group already up and running, with fun discussion threads and lots of pics of yummy fabrics folks are picking out for their quilts.

If you've never joined a QAL before, I would highly recomment it.  It's great fun getting to know other quilters/bloggers around the world, sharing ideas, encouraging one another and generally having a laugh at life and all its imperfections.

There's still time to join if you're interested.  Just click here to find out more.

Now down to the business side of things - what fabrics will I choose?

I'm going for the lap quilt size and was hoping to use my gorgeous stash of charm squares:

I won these from Lesly at Pickle Dish!
But at 5" each, they're not quite big enough for all the shapes that make up the Kaleidoscope block.  As these fabrics are too yummy to cut into and waste, I might just make a simple quilt out of them, and keep them intact.

So, it looks like I'm going to get a chance to use my winnings from Jo sooner than I thought!


Kind of appropriate too, as Jo was the one who ignited my passion for this pattern!  Thanks again Jo!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are doing this too! Those charm squares are beautiful and so is that stack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how lovely that you will be using some of your giveaway fabrics for a kaleidoscope quilt! I was tempted by the QAL too, but seeing as I am already making a mini version I managed to resist. I do love the pattern though and want to make a big one someday. Looking forward to seeing yours take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You caved!!!!! Can't wait to see pics of your progress popping up on the blog. Jo's fabrics will be great for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so trying to resist this QAL - if it came with free extra hours in the day, then I'd be in - might play catch up once June is over x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo